Breathing, Bracing and Core Stability

I will try to post an explanation in english for the non portuguese speaking interested. I'm discussing the different breathing "styles" that we see in our clients and their effects. We encourage diaphragmatic breathing (where the abdominal wall expands during inhalation). The upper chest breathing "style" is linked with lots of physiological disfunctions, stress and tension in general (you can check more on this subject on Leon Chaitow's web site). When we (specialy Pilates teachers) ask for clients to "close their abdominal wall", we are encouraging upper chest breathing in most cases. We need to build client's capacity to keep diaphragmatic breathing with increased external loads on the core. 





In this video we start to show what I called paradoxical breathing, where the stomach is sucked in during inhalation and movement happens mostly in the upper thorax. This breathing pattern is associated with stress, tension and a lot of biochemical and physiological changes that are bad to our systems/bodies.
Then, I go on showing that diaphragmatic / abdominal breathing should´t be accompanied by spinal hyperextension. The spine should be all imprinted during inhalation with the help of the intra-abdominal pressure due to the in-breath.
In the next step I increase progressively the external load on the "core" by using different leg positions as leverages. I want to see the same pattern of breathing (diaphragmatic) with no interference from the "superficial front muscle line" in the role of trunk stabilization. I want to see predominantly the "inner unit" of the core being used. I can check it by looking at the neck and prevent it from hyperextend. This increase of the external load goes on until the "client" has the need to recruit the external trunk stabilizers (that are also mobilizers). I use a strategy I've learned (I don't remember where...) to teach and ensure that the spine stays imprinted during the trunk stabilization work.

Let's hear some comments!

Comentários

Mensagens populares deste blogue

Feldenkrais - Postura. Flexão

A minha história com o ombros (cont.)

Margem de erro